Nov 4, 2011

3 For Thursday Week 6 Vote for Your Favourite Entry

Here are this weeks entries.  Great week, fantastic stories!
There were five entries this week but two were blind challenges and three were speed challenges which is awesome!  I hope Miranda doesn't mind that I entered here first part of her blind story as a speed challenge  (she missed the prompt in part II and pulled herself out of the running), I thought the first part worked as a stand alone story.  There were no classic entries this week.

Blind Challenge
His Beloved
By Siobhan Muir @SiobhanMuir

Dearest Cynthia,

I miss you so much, it feels like my heart has stopped beating in my chest. Each breath I take slides into my lungs with the sharpness of broken glass and my ribs hurt with the effort. When you left to go visit your folks in Saskatchewan, I thought it would only last a couple of weeks, but as it turned into months, the time has dragged me through my days like I’m trudging through sludge. My whole body aches with the effort to move. Waking up is almost as painful as dreaming of you with me.

Yesterday, Mrs. Crenshaw pruned her roses for winter, the ones you love so much because they smell like your perfume. Every breath I take is full of your scent when I walk past her yard waste bags warming in the waning sun of autumn and it brings tears to my eyes. I cry so much from your absence my eyes sting like I致e washed them in vinegar and my abdomen cramps with my sobs. The scents of you and your little Chihuahua Kinzey are slowly fading and I scour the corners of the house for little mementos of your presences.

I’m surprised how much your absence affects me and what a difference it’s made now that you aren’t here. My house is so clean it sparkles and the stench of unwashed canine and dog shit is gone when I walk through the door. I don’t find random hairs woven into my mustache; my couch is free of the fur that works its way into all my good dress pants. I’m breathing easily for the first time in years and your decision to stay home longer warms my heart. I’m sure your parents are thrilled. I know I am.

 Sincerely, Kurt


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Gone But Not Forgotten
By Cara Michaels @caramichaels

Dear Graham,

So I write those two words and realize I don't know your first name. Stupid, huh? I think I knew you for all of 30 minutes. Maybe not even that.

I'm still recovering from that night. From Carlisle. The docs say the scars won't be that bad, but I needed to tell someone I’m fucked up. Something changed inside me and nothing's right now. I don't know who I can trust.

Except you.

I just wanted to tell you that I wish you were here. I wish I could know you better.

I wish you were alive.

-Kelly

"This is stupid." I wadded up the paper and tossed it in the wastebasket. Sitting in a hotel in India sweating my ass off and writing a letter to a dead cop didn't fix me or anything else in my life.

Every breath I took ached through my whole body. Whatever Carlisle had infected me with would not let go, and my entire world view skewed unpredictably. The sight I relied upon to show me the hidden truth blurred, faded, shorted out without warning.

Safety lay now in anonymity.

If they didn't know me, they couldn't find me.

I hoped. 

A knock on the door followed by a garbled voice saying something that could be mistaken for "room service" interrupted my pity party.

"Wrong room," I hollered.

A firmer knock rattled the door.

"Okay, fine."

I grabbed my Sig from the nightstand, holding it at the small of my back. Cracking the door, I eyed the tall man rocking mirrored sunglasses and a mustache that Magnum P.I. would envy.

"Can I help you?"

He lowered the shades, revealing laughing blue eyes.

"Kelly, I'm wounded," he said in a heavenly English baritone. "You've forgotten me already?"

"Graham?"

"In the flesh, beautiful."


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
 ═══Speed Challenge
The Letter
By Robert Hilliard @redshirt6 

My Dearest Wife,

I will be brief. If you are reading this then my life has ended under suspicious circumstances.

I discovered the plot you and your lover had concocted. It was truly inspirational! I would not have lived much longer anyway, but I guess you couldn’t wait. Youth, always in such a rush.

By now your fingers are surely burning as a result of the contact poison in which this paper was soaked. Fear not! The antidote is available to you.

It is in the same location as the murder weapon you buried.

My regards to Sheriff Wimbsley please.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Breath
By DL Thurston @DL_Thurston

Every breath I take is one more gone. Right now they're coming fast. Because the creatures are coming fast. A few more breaths will get me to cover. A few more will give me time to fight back. Just a few more breaths...

Hands on my arms.

Teeth on my legs.

I fall and the breath is knocked out of me. So few left now. I kick at them, but I know it's too late. The stupor already flows through my body. My brain screams against the infection.

They leave.

I get up.

I walk.

Even with no breath left.


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Preparation for War
By Miranda Gammella @MLGammella

Dear David,

When I moved here a few months ago, I had no idea about who I really was or the truth behind my family. You have helped me discover so much. I will always be thankful for your presence in my life, even if is only for a short period of time.

After we searched the archives yesterday, I finally realized what I need to do to defeat the destroyers … but I have to do it alone. I know you will probably think otherwise, but this fight is between them and my family. I have to do this.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Now, Get Your Votes In!
Week 6 entries
His Beloved-@SiobhanMuir
Gone But Not Forgotten-@caramichaels
The Letter-@redshirt6
Breath-@DL_Thurston
Preparation for War-@MLGammella

  
pollcode.com free polls 
Polls close sometime on Monday

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't Forget your Twitter Handle or e-mail address and a title (title doesn't count towards word count)!